Art in the Open! The NIC’s Mural Project
The Nicolaysen Art Museum (The NIC) is a contemporary art museum in Casper, Wyoming. To celebrate 30 years in our current location, The NIC is seeking artists and/or artist teams, to paint murals on stucco areas on the exterior of the museum.
Three (3) selected artist/artist teams will create a work measuring approximately 5’ (h) x 29’ (w) for a total of 145 sq. ft. One (1) artist will be chosen to create a marquee mural measuring 14’5” (h) by 8’ (w).
The murals will be in highly trafficked, public areas and will be produced between August 3 - 12 for unveiling on the evening of August 13. Artists are invited to submit a design along with a description of the proposed mural and a work sample showing the artists’ style. Artists will be responsible for all materials required.
Newly created artwork be displayed for the long-term (possibly up to three years). This project will require direct communication with The NIC in advance of the event.
This is an invitational call to individual artists or artist teams from the Rocky Mountain region regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, military status, sexual orientation, marital status, or physical or mental disability.
For the smaller murals, artists will be awarded $1000 inclusive of materials and time spent in collaboration with The NIC and its staff. Half of the award will be given upon start and half at completion. The marquee mural artist will be awarded $2,500 under the same terms above.
• Design is of a high level and excellence
• Universal appeal – Accepted and Loved
• Happy, uplifting, inspiring and colorful
• Absent of any political, social statements or influences
• When possible, it will represent the inspiring nature of contemporary art
• 2020 at The NIC is the “Year of the Woman” which is a celebration of women artists and 150 years of suffrage in Wyoming. Integration of this theme is encouraged, but not required
Submission Must Include
• A current resume and/or bio with a phone number and email address
• Five (5) to ten (10) examples of recent mural or relevant large-scale works. Experience with mural paintings is preferred, although not required.
• Enter three (3) digital submissions of preliminary drawings of your concept along with a written statement. Submission should be in a JPEG format with your name and number to identify the drawing. No larger than 1000×1000 pixels at 72dpi.
• Please send completed email submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
• Submissions must be received by June 26, 2020 @ 5:00 p.m.
• Notification date will be on or before July 2.
• Artists will be able to begin their work upon notification and must finish on or before Thursday, August 13.